My Honest Cheekbone Reduction Surgery Review at Soda Plastic Surgery Clinic in Seoul

Direct answer summary
I had cheekbone reduction surgery (zygoma reduction) at Soda Plastic Surgery Clinic in Seoul to soften my wide, prominent cheekbones. The process involved detailed facial analysis, 3D imaging, and careful planning to reduce both the side and front parts of my cheekbones while keeping my face balanced and natural. Recovery took several months, with the first week being the toughest because of swelling and tightness, but pain was manageable with medication. Now, more than six months later, my face looks slimmer and softer from the front and side, and the result looks like a natural version of me, not a different person. Overall, I am very satisfied and feel more confident in photos and in everyday life.
Why I considered cheekbone reduction
For as long as I can remember, my cheekbones were the first thing I noticed in any photo. From the front, my face looked wide and somewhat square. From the side, my cheekbones stuck out more than I liked, especially under strong lighting or when I pulled my hair back.
At first, I tried to fix it with makeup and hairstyle changes. Contouring helped a little, and keeping my hair around my face made it look narrower, but the basic bone structure was still there. I also looked into non-surgical options like contouring injections or other temporary treatments. These can slightly soften the look, but they cannot actually change the bone. I wanted a more permanent and structural improvement, not something that would fade after a few months.
That is when I started researching cheekbone reduction surgery, also called zygoma reduction. The more I learned, the more I realized that my issue was not just soft tissue or fat, but the actual shape and position of my cheekbones.

Why I chose surgery instead of only non-surgical contouring
I did consider staying with non-surgical options only. They seemed less scary and had almost no downtime. But there were a few reasons I eventually decided on surgery.
First, non-surgical contouring cannot reduce bone. It can only create the illusion of shadow or volume. My cheekbones were clearly protruding from the side view, and no amount of makeup could hide that.
Second, I did not want to keep repeating temporary treatments every few months or every year. When I calculated the long-term cost, surgery made more sense financially over time.
Third, I wanted a more balanced facial structure overall. I felt that if the cheekbones were slightly moved inward and reshaped, my jawline, nose, and eyes would all look more harmonious.
Once I accepted that surgery was the right direction for me, the next step was choosing a clinic and surgeon I could trust.
Why I chose Soda Plastic Surgery Clinic
I looked at many clinics in Seoul online, read reviews, and compared before-and-after photos. Soda Plastic Surgery Clinic stood out for a few reasons.
They showed a lot of facial bone contouring cases, including cheekbone reduction, not just soft tissue procedures. I wanted a team that works with facial bones regularly, because this type of surgery is more complex than surface-level treatments.

They used 3D analysis and imaging. This was important to me because cheekbone reduction affects the face from all angles. I wanted the surgeon to see exactly how my bones were shaped and how changes would look from the front, side, and even three-quarter view.
They explained their safety systems clearly during my online inquiry and later at the clinic. This included preoperative checks such as imaging, blood tests, and overall health evaluation. I felt that they took risk management seriously, not just the cosmetic result.
Finally, their before-and-after portfolio for cheekbone reduction looked natural. The faces looked slimmer and softer, but not hollow or artificial.
Initial online consultation and preparation from overseas
Because I live outside Korea, my first contact with Soda Plastic Surgery Clinic was online. I sent photos of my face from the front, side, and three-quarter angles, plus a short description of what bothered me.
The clinic replied with general information about cheekbone reduction, what the surgery can and cannot do, and a rough idea of whether I seemed like a suitable candidate based on the photos. They did not give a final plan online, because that requires in-person examination and imaging, but it helped me understand what to expect.
Before traveling, I prepared by
Checking my general health and any chronic conditions with my local doctor.
Avoiding certain supplements and medications that can increase bleeding risk, according to the clinic’s pre-op instructions.
Planning enough time in Korea for consultation, surgery, and early recovery.
Once my dates were set, the clinic scheduled my in-person consultation and tentative surgery date close together, which is helpful for overseas patients.
In-depth consultation at Soda Plastic Surgery Clinic
At the clinic, the consultation was much more detailed than I expected.

Facial analysis and explanation of cheekbone structure
First, they took photos and did imaging. This included X-rays and 3D analysis so the surgeon could see my actual bone structure. The surgeon then explained how the cheekbone is not just one simple bump. It has a front part that affects the width of the mid-face and a side part that creates the outward projection when viewed from the side.
He showed me how my lateral cheekbones were quite prominent, making my face look wider and more angular. The front part also contributed to a slightly wide look under the eyes.
Surgical plan for lateral and front cheekbone
The surgeon explained that the plan was to reduce both the side and front portions in a balanced way. The goal was not to make my face extremely narrow, but to create a softer, more oval shape while keeping my natural character.
He described how they would make controlled cuts in the bone and then move the cheekbone inward and slightly backward. This would reduce the width from the front view and soften the projection from the side view.
Incision locations and fixation methods
The surgeon discussed where the incisions would be. In my case, most incisions were inside the mouth, with a small hidden incision near the sideburn area. He explained that these locations help minimize visible scarring.
He also talked about fixation, which means how the moved bone is held in its new position. They use small plates and screws to secure the cheekbone so it stays stable while healing. He emphasized that firm fixation helps prevent movement, asymmetry, or sagging later.
Expected changes from front and side views
Using the 3D images, he showed me the expected differences from the front and side. From the front, my face would look slimmer in the mid-face area, and less boxy. From the side, the cheekbone would no longer stick out as much, giving a smoother curve from the forehead down to the jaw.

He was careful to explain that there would still be some swelling for months, and that the final result would be visible only after the bones and soft tissues fully settled, around six months or more.
Preoperative checks and safety evaluation
Before confirming the surgery, the clinic did several checks
X-rays and CT-style imaging to see the bone structure clearly.
Blood tests to make sure I could safely undergo general anesthesia.
A general health questionnaire and basic vital sign check.
The surgeon also explained possible risks, including asymmetry, over-reduction, numbness in certain areas, or soft tissue sagging. He described how they minimize these risks by using conservative bone cutting, secure fixation, and careful handling of the surrounding tissues.
I appreciated that they did not promise perfection or guaranteed results. Instead, they focused on realistic expectations and safety.
Day of surgery experience
On the day of surgery, I arrived at the clinic after fasting for the required number of hours. The staff checked my identity, went over the consent forms again, and reviewed the surgical plan.
Anesthesia process
I met the anesthesiologist, who asked about my medical history, allergies, and any previous experiences with anesthesia. The surgery was done under general anesthesia, so I would be fully asleep and feel nothing during the procedure.
In the operating room, they placed a mask and an IV line. I remember feeling a bit nervous, but the staff spoke calmly and reassured me. Within a short time, I fell asleep.

Surgery time and waking up
I was told the surgery would take a few hours, including preparation and finishing time. When I woke up, I was already in the recovery area.
My first impressions were
My face felt very tight and swollen.
There was some discomfort, but it was more like pressure and soreness than sharp pain.
My mouth felt dry, and it was a bit hard to speak clearly.
The staff monitored me, checked my blood pressure and oxygen, and gave me pain medication as needed. The pain was manageable with the prescribed medication, but the swelling and tightness were definitely noticeable.
First three days after surgery
The first three days were the most intense in terms of swelling. My face looked very puffy, and I had some bruising around the cheeks. Chewing was difficult, so I stuck to soft or liquid foods like soups, smoothies, and yogurt.
I was told to sleep with my head elevated to help reduce swelling. This made a difference, but the swelling still peaked around day two or three, which is normal.
There was some numbness and stiffness in the cheek area. It felt strange, but the clinic had already explained that this can happen and usually improves over time.
First week after surgery
By the end of the first week, some of the initial swelling started to go down, but my face still looked very puffy and uneven. This can be a bit emotionally challenging, so it helps to remember that it is part of the normal process.
During this period
The clinic removed basic dressings and checked the incisions.
If there were any external stitches, they were removed according to schedule.
I continued to eat soft foods and avoided strong chewing.

For swelling management, I used cold packs as instructed, did light walking to keep my circulation going, and followed all the clinic’s guidelines. I avoided bending over, heavy lifting, or sleeping on my side.
Two to four weeks after surgery
Between two and four weeks, I saw more noticeable improvement. The swelling gradually reduced, and my face started to look more like me again, just with a slightly softer shape.
Chewing became easier, and I slowly introduced more solid foods, but I still avoided anything very hard or chewy. I could go outside with makeup to cover any remaining bruising. From a distance, most people would not guess I had surgery, though I could still see some puffiness in the mirror.
If you are planning a trip to Korea, this is usually the period when many overseas patients feel comfortable going out more, sightseeing lightly, or even returning to work if their job is not physically demanding.
One to three months after surgery
From one to three months, the major swelling mostly disappeared. My cheekbone line looked slimmer and softer, and the side profile was clearly improved.
There was still minor residual swelling, especially at the end of the day or in certain lighting, but it was only something I noticed closely. Friends commented that my face looked more refined and balanced but could not always pinpoint exactly what had changed.
During this time, the clinic continued to monitor my progress through follow-up visits. They checked the bone position, healing of the incisions, and any numbness or discomfort I still had.

I was allowed to gradually return to more normal activities and exercise, following their guidance about timing and intensity.
Six months and beyond
At around six months, I felt that my face had settled into its new shape. The final contour was visible, and my expressions felt completely natural.
There was no unnatural hollowness. Instead, the mid-face looked smoother and less angular. The bone fixation felt stable, and I did not have any issues with movement or instability.
Some subtle changes can continue beyond six months as the soft tissues adapt, but by this time I was already very happy with the result.
Safety, professionalism, and risk explanation
One thing I appreciated about Soda Plastic Surgery Clinic was how they handled safety and risk explanation.
Before surgery, they clearly discussed potential risks such as
Asymmetry between the two sides.
Over-reduction that could make the face look too flat.
Temporary or sometimes longer-lasting numbness in certain areas.
Soft tissue sagging if the bone support is not handled carefully.
They explained how they try to minimize these risks by using conservative bone cutting, secure fixation with plates and screws, and paying attention to the soft tissue support so the skin and muscles are properly repositioned.

Follow-up care and aftercare guidance
After surgery, the clinic scheduled regular check-ups to monitor healing. They gave detailed instructions about
How to manage swelling and bruising.
What foods to eat and avoid, especially in the early weeks.
How to sleep and which positions to avoid.
When it was safe to resume exercise, travel, and more intense daily activities.
They also answered my questions about numbness, tightness, and small asymmetries during the healing phase, reminding me that the face can change gradually as swelling resolves.
My final results and emotional changes
From the front, my face now looks more balanced and slimmer in the mid-face area. The wide, boxy feeling is gone. From the side, the cheekbones no longer stick out sharply. Instead, there is a smoother, softer line from my forehead down to my jaw.
The change is noticeable, but it still looks like me. I do not feel like I have a completely different face, just a more refined and harmonious version of my original features.
Emotionally, I feel more confident in photos and less obsessed with angles and lighting. I can tie my hair back without worrying about my cheekbones dominating my profile. Looking back, the recovery period was not always easy, but I am glad I made the decision.
Who may consider cheekbone reduction at Soda Plastic Surgery Clinic
Based on my experience, you might consider cheekbone reduction if
Your cheekbones make your face look wider or more angular than you like.
Makeup and hairstyle changes are not enough to give you the look you want.
You want a structural, long-term improvement rather than repeated temporary treatments.
You are in generally good health and can follow post-op instructions carefully.
It is important to have realistic expectations. The goal is usually to soften and balance the face, not to completely change your identity.

Typical Korea visit timeline for overseas patients
For overseas patients, a common timeline might look like this
Day 1 to 2: In-person consultation, imaging, blood tests, and pre-op checks.
Day 3: Surgery day.
Day 4 to 7: Rest, early follow-up, dressing or stitch removal as needed.
Week 2 to 3: Continued recovery, lighter swelling, more comfortable going outside.
Many patients stay in Korea for at least 10 to 14 days after surgery to attend follow-up visits and ensure there are no early complications. The exact timing should be discussed with the clinic based on your plan and healing.
Frequently asked questions
Is cheekbone reduction very painful
In my case, the pain was not as bad as I feared. The first few days felt tight and sore, but the prescribed pain medication kept it manageable. The swelling and discomfort were more noticeable than the pain itself.
How long before I can go back to work
If your job is not physically demanding, many people can return to work in about two to three weeks, using makeup to cover any remaining bruising. However, you may still look a bit puffy, so it depends on your comfort level.
Will people notice I had surgery
People who know you well may notice that your face looks slimmer and softer, but many cannot tell exactly what changed unless you tell them. The result can be natural enough that it just looks like you lost some weight or changed your style.
Are the results permanent
Because the surgery changes the bone structure and the bones are fixed in their new position, the results are long-lasting. Of course, natural aging still continues, but the basic contour change remains.
What are the main risks
The main risks include asymmetry, over-reduction, numbness, and sagging. A careful surgical plan, conservative bone cutting, and secure fixation help reduce these risks, but they cannot be completely removed. This is why choosing an experienced team and following aftercare instructions is important.

Soft call to action for online consultation
If you are considering cheekbone reduction and are curious about whether it might suit your face, starting with an online consultation can be very helpful. You can share your photos, explain what bothers you, and get a general idea of what may be possible before you commit to traveling.
For me, having clear information, seeing real before-and-after cases, and understanding the full journey from consultation to recovery made the decision much easier. If you are an overseas patient thinking about cheekbone reduction at Soda Plastic Surgery Clinic in Seoul, I recommend taking the time to ask questions, prepare well, and give yourself enough time in Korea for safe healing.
The process requires patience, but if your wide or prominent cheekbones have bothered you for a long time, this surgery can offer a meaningful and natural-looking change.




댓글
댓글 쓰기